Mountain and Hill Navigation Skills 2 Day Courses – Lakes and Peak District
Navigating – Crookstone Hill, Dark Peak, Peak District.
Time for a break to build a navigation strategy. A fine day in the Scottish Highlands.
During these couple of days, we will combine a walk in wild country with learning navigation skills and techniques. Then we practice the useful methods that will ensure you are never truly lost. We will cover the importance of compass work and understanding your map so you can plan and follow safe walks that take you away from tracks and paths.
So you will be able to;
- Break the stages of a route into ‘coarse’ and ‘fine’ navigation using clear features en-route to check progress.
- Understand and use navigational strategies across different terrains;
- aiming off,
- attack points,
- collecting features,
- Understanding of contour features, large and small, on the map and on the ground.
- Judge distance accurately on the map and on the ground.
- Plan a safe walk or route that uses bearings and features and understand all of the factors effecting route choice.
- Use simple relocation strategies when lost.
- Use a compass to follow accurate bearings and to check the direction of footpaths or other linear features on both map and ground.
- Effects of fatigue and physical discomfort brought on by navigating in demanding countryside and/or extreme weather condition. Knowledge of basic first aid is also expected.
- Demonstrate knowledge and application of the Countryside Code and current access legislation.
- Appreciation of basic environmental factors.
To get the best from these couple of days this you will need to have previously learnt the basics of using maps, spotting simple features such as paths and tracks and a basic understanding of contours. Most people have picked this up when using OS maps for walking, but if you are unsure, drop me a line.
The training covered in this couple of days is also a popular option for personal guiding and refresher for NGB courses.
Course Numbers, 2-6
Accommodation is not provided, if you need somewhere to stay I can suggest a few places to suit your price range.
Full details on kit, maps and exact location will be sent out prior to the course.
Price Per Person; £95 for the 2 day course. (Min 3 people)
I am now running these course by request or special bookings. Please contact me if you would like any specific dates or look at my calendar to check out availability.
To book, simply complete the form below and I’ll reserve a place and send the full details;
Nice photo Tony. Who is the good looking chap sat on that rock on the left?
Good luck with the courses. I’ll share this with my twitter/fb lot for you.